15 Ohio State graduate programs ranked in top 10 by U.S. News & World Report
March 12, 2019
Three specialties are rated nation’s best
COLUMBUS, Ohio – According to the U.S. News & World Report 2020 edition of America’s Best Graduate Schools, The Ohio State University offers a vast array of top graduate and professional programs, with 15 ranked in the top 10 and three ranked best in the nation.
Top-10 graduate and professional programs include legal dispute resolution (1), student counseling/personnel services (1), technical/vocational education (1), veterinary medicine (4), business supply chain/logistics (6), clinical nurse leader (7), health care management (7), nursing master’s (8), education curriculum/instruction (8), elementary teacher education (9), secondary teacher education, (9), biological/agricultural engineering and business production/operations (9), accounting (10) and public management and leadership (10).
Ohio State has a graduate and professional enrollment of more than 14,000 students in 94 doctoral and 97 master’s programs.
“As a top public research university, graduate education is at the core of what we do,” said executive vice president and provost Bruce McPheron. “This recognition of our outstanding graduate programs reflects the excellence and tremendous depth and breadth of Ohio State’s graduate educational offerings.”
U.S. News’ rankings of graduate and professional programs cover just a small portion of the programs offered at Ohio State. This year, in addition to annual rankings in business, education, engineering, law, medicine and nursing, the magazine offers new rankings for programs in selected health specialties and public affairs.
Below are details from U.S. News & World Report’s 2020 rankings of Ohio State graduate programs, by category.
• College of Education and Human Ecology: ranked best in Ohio and 26 nationally out of 392 graduate education programs. The specialty programs in vocational/technical education and student counseling and personnel services ranked 1, curriculum/instruction ranked 8, elementary teacher education and secondary teacher education ranked 9, educational administration/supervision and educational psychology ranked 11 and higher education administration ranked 12.
• Fisher College of Business: ranked best in Ohio and 31 nationally among 475 institutions with MBA programs. The specialty program in supply chain/logistics ranked 6, production/operations ranked 9, accounting ranked 10, the part-time MBA program ranked 14, finance ranked 25 and management ranked 26.
• College of Engineering: ranked best in Ohio and 27 nationally out of 214 engineering programs that grant doctoral degrees. The specialty program in industrial/manufacturing systems engineering and nuclear engineering ranked 13, materials engineering ranked 14 and aerospace/aeronautical/astronautical engineering ranked 17.
• College of Food, Agricultural and Environmental Sciences: under engineering programs, biological/agricultural engineering ranked 9.
• Moritz College of Law: ranked best in Ohio and 34 in the nation out of 192 accredited law schools. The specialty program in dispute resolution is ranked 1.
• College of Medicine: ranked 30 among all research medical schools and 39 in primary care training among 185 accredited medical schools. Specialty programs in pediatrics ranked 21 and obstetrics and gynecology ranked 23.
• Health specialties: The graduate program in veterinary medicine ranked 4, health care management ranked 7 and public health ranked 23.
• College of Nursing: U.S. News surveyed 584 nursing schools with master’s or doctoral programs. The clinical nurse leader program ranked 7, nursing master’s graduate program ranked 8, doctor of nursing practice ranked 19, family nursing ranked 11 and adult/gerontology, acute care ranked 13.
• Glenn College of Public Affairs: ranked best in Ohio and 14 nationally out of 285 master’s programs in public affairs and administration. The specialty program in public management and leadership ranked 10, nonprofit management ranked 12 and public policy analysis ranked 25.
• College of Social Work: under health specialties, the college ranked 13.
A number of Ohio State programs earned high marks in previous years and the magazine reprints rankings from previous years in some fields.