Forty-Fifth Annual Academic Recognition
Students, faculty, staff, alumni, family and friends of Ohio State Marion descended upon the Marion Palace Theatre in downtown Marion, Ohio, Thursday, April 21, 2016, to celebrate the academic accomplishments of students and faculty on the Marion campus. Associate of Arts Degrees were also conferred and awarded. Since summer semester 2015, 59 Marion campus students earned their Associate of Arts Degree at the end of the current semester.
(Scroll to the bottom to view a partial gallery from the evening's ceremony, or for a complete gallery visit our Facebook Photo Gallery.)
International Study Travel Award (study tour to India in May, 2016)
• Jessica Ophelia Humphrey
• Kris George Kasotis – 2nd year traveler
• Alexis Rae Reimer
• Patricia Ann Walsh – 2nd year traveler
Foreign Language Award
Honorable Mention - Emily Alice Pandis
Winner – Christopher M. (Tophie) Fisher
Honorable Mention - Keily Renae Cunningham
Winner - Amanda Irene deJonge
Honorable Mention - Samantha Keefer
Winner - Matthew Connor Fruth
Franklin Fine Arts Award
Trinity Kaitline Arend
Environmental Citizenship Award
Brandon Gerald Parks
Morgan Leigh DeWitt
Howard Honors Book Award
Lauren Elyse Chivington and Kelly Diane Spears were recognized for their performance in English 4591.01H –Special Topics in Creative Writing. The class is taught this semester by Stuart Lishan.
Professor Dave Schul from the Geography department identified Hannah Marie Fuller as the recipient of this award from his Geography 2750 Honors course – World Regional Geography, a course taught this semester.
Nikole Patson identified Bryan Joseph Hare as a recipient, a student in her Introduction to Psychology 1100H course this semester.
Jireh White was identified by Dr. Anna Willow. In the fall semester, Jireh was enrolled in Anthropology 2202H – Peoples and Cultures: An Introduction to Cultural Anthropology.
The William Kay Davis Engineering Award
• Preston Edward Bryan
• Tyler Randolph Martin
• Ericsson Kristofer Schroeter
Oliver E. Hamilton History Writing Awards
- Mark Patrick Kiel - lower division History course for a paper titled “The Systematic Evolution of Violence in Africa”, written in History 2302 with Dr. Genova.
- Jacob Mark Kroh upper division History course for his paper titled “Strongmen and the Starting of a World War” was written in History 3570 with Dr. Genova
Oliver E. Hamilton History Award
Kimberly Renee Matthews
Babich Writing Award
- Freshmen/sophomore category, winner is Lauren Elyse Chivington for a paper written in English 3398 with Ben McCorkle. Lauren’s paper was titled:
“The Jew in the Basement, the Maus in the Ghetto, and the Girl in the Attic: WWII Survivor’s Narratives in Controversial Media
- Junior/senior category, Danielle Wolff is the award winner. Daneille’s paper, “Madame LaLaurie: From Socialite to Monster” was written for Sarah Crosby’s English 4550 course.
Creative Writing Awards
Lyric - two winners were selected.
• Lauren Elyse Chivington
• Morgan Leigh DeWitt
• Honorable Mention – Dana Marie Dreher & Morgan Leigh Dewitt
• First Place – Danielle Leigh Wolff
Digital Media Composition Award
- Hannah Marie Fuller
William Kay Davis Award (Honors Scholarships)
Lauren Elyse Chivington
Hanna Marie Fuller
Marion Campus Research Colloquium Recognition
Winner of research originating from an undergraduate course is:
• Sabrina Kathryn Mazyck. Her research focused on Mitigating Climate Change and Changing Agribusiness through Aquaponics Systems Technology. Dr. Brian H. Lower from
Environment & Natural Resources was the instructor. Also recognized in this category:
• Alyna Gwilym Lewis for research on The Intersection of Illegal Immigration and Gender conducted in a Sociology course with Dr. Donna Bobbitt-Zeher
• For their work in an Anthropology course with Dr. Anna Willow, we recognize Samantha Keefer and Molly Rose McCarthy. Their research explored How the Oil and Gas Industry Attracts and Dismisses Women.
• Understanding Reiki was the research focus for Jireh White. She conducted her study in an Anthropology course with Dr. Anna Willow.
Winner of the Marion Campus Research Colloquium in Faculty Mentored Research category is:
• Rachel M. Hopper who worked with Dr. Ryan Yoder on research titled: Molecular Modeling of Potential Therapeutics for Aged Acetylcholinesterase Reactivation
Also recognized in this category are:
• Kori Montgomery whose research is titled, Under Representation of Plurality and was advised by Dr. Nikole Patson.
• Adam Klim and Tyler Kutney for their project, Generalized Trigonometric Functions in Signal and Data Analysis, advised by Dr. Jan Lang.
• The students listed above (Faculty Mentored Research) were also recognized for participation at the Denman Undergraduate Research Forum along with Michaela Marie Rogers who conducted research and presented at the Denman under the guidance of Dr. Ryan Yoder. Michaela’s topic was Approaches to Teaching Chemistry in Different Academic Environments.
The Ralph Howard Service Award
Ronald J. Scharer
The Griffin Society Teaching Award for an associated faculty member went to Mike Lohre
The Marion Campus Teaching Award for an associated faculty member went to Adam Matthews
The Marion Campus Teaching Award for a regular faculty member went to Sara Crosby
Undergraduate Academic Excellence Awards
Carl Lee Stover
Madeline Marie Nicol
Alan Gerardo Esparza Gutierrez
Kaylee Nichole Johnson
Kori Rae Montgomery
C.Eugene Maynard Award
Jared Ray Cox
Students, faculty, staff, alumni, family and friends of Ohio State Marion descended upon the Marion Palace Theatre in downtown Marion, Ohio, Thursday, April 21, 2016, to celebrate the academic accomplishments of students and faculty on the Marion campus. Associate of Arts Degrees were also conferred and awarded. Since summer semester 2015, 59 Marion campus students have earned or will be earning their Associate of Arts Degree at the end of the current semester. For a complete photo gallery visit: https://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set=a.10154881826248228.1073741917.136116483227&type=3