You will find that email is the primary method of communication used. If you're not used to checking your email daily, now is a great time to start that practice!
- Activate your OSU username and email account. This is your buckeyemail account and you need to have it activated before you can do most things at Ohio State including accessing Orientation steps. Visit http://my.osu.edu to activate your username. For easy access to email, be sure you have your Ohio State email account through Outlook set up on your phone.
The following are included in the Orientation steps. However, if you're excited to get a head start, feel free to complete these items as they become available.
- Become familiar with the COVID-19 Vaccine Requirement. Follow the steps outlined on the Safe and Healthy Buckeyes website.
- Order Official Transcripts and Test Scores. Only official transcripts will be accepted by Ohio State – either from your high school and/or from the registrar of your former or current university. Official transcripts must be sent from the academic institution to the Ohio State address listed below. Do not have official transcripts sent to the student and do not have them sent to the Marion campus.
Send Official Transcripts to:
The Ohio State University
P.O. Box 182646
Columbus, OH 43218
Submit electronically to: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Prepare for the Math placement test. Access a list of test topics and sample problems here.
- Take your Math Placement Test online at least three days prior to step 3 of Orientation, meeting with your Advisor. Visit the following website to take the Math Placement Test: https://buckeyelink3.osu.edu/secure/math
If you take the online test and receive a score of "U" (score undetermined), you must retake the test a second time.
If you are unable to take the math placement test online for any reason, you will have the option to take a paper-pencil version of the test at whatever point campus re-opens.
If you have not taken the math test by your Advising appointment date, you will not be able to schedule a math class for your first semester. Your schedule can be adjusted after you take the math test.
If you are transferring math credit to Ohio State, additional information may be required.
Please Note: You may only take the Math Placement Test one time unless your original score is "U".
- Talk with your parents/guardians/spouse about your health insurance coverage. Ohio State students enrolled in 6 or more credit hours must have health insurance. You will automatically be charged for OSU’s student health insurance plan. If you are covered through another plan, you must waive the OSU coverage through your Buckeye Link. This can be done prior to or at Orientation. You will need information found on your health insurance card to waive the OSU coverage. Information on the OSU health insurance plan can be found at: http://shi.osu.edu
- Complete the Financial Responsibility Statement. The terms of this agreement are found in the "To Do List" area of your Buckeye Link. You will not be able to schedule classes until you agree to the terms of the statement.
- If you are a male, be sure that you have registered with Selective Service to avoid being charged non-resident fees. To register or to access your number, visit: http://www.sss.gov
- Familiarize yourself with Carmen, Ohio State's online course management system. Orientation step 2 will be delivered through Carmen. Click here for information and tutorials.