Ohio State Marion Reading Endorsement

The Reading Endorsement at The Ohio State University is a graduate-level, non-degree program.  Students seeking the endorsement are required by the state to hold a standard Ohio teaching certificate or license.  They are also required to have completed 9-12 semester credit hours of prerequisite courses in pre-service reading. After completing the required coursework outlined on the Reading Endorsement Program Sheet and the required Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE) tests, students may have their initial certificate/license endorsed for Reading by the Ohio Department of Education (ODE).

Students seeking the Reading Endorsement must complete required courses listed on the Reading Endorsement Program Sheet. There is no requirement that courses must be taken in a set sequence except that EDUTL 5470 is a prerequisite for the Clinical Experience, EDUTL 5471.  It is strongly recommended, however, that students complete the courses from the other four areas before the Clinical Experience so they may apply their knowledge to support their work with children.

A minimum of four courses must be taken at The Ohio State University. Students may transfer up to one course from another institution. This course must be reviewed by an Academic Advisor from the T&L Office of Academic Services in order to count towards the Reading Endorsement. (See Step 3-Course Requirements for detailed information.)   

Students who may have started taking courses towards the Reading Endorsement prior to Summer 2013 should contact an Academic Advisor in T&L Office of Academic Services for more information.

Step 1-Enrolling at Ohio State

Students who have completed a degree from an institution other than Ohio State should enroll as Graduate Non-Degree. Graduate Non-degree enrollment allows students to take graduate-level courses without being formally enrolled. Ohio State courses that are 5000-level and above are considered graduate-level.

To Apply for Graduate Non-Degree:

Graduate Admissions
Student Academic Services Building
281 West Lane Ave
Columbus, OH 43210


Former Ohio State graduate students will need to request to reactivate their status to
enroll as Graduate Non-Degree by contacting the T&L Office of Academic Services at
(614) 292-2332.


Step 2- Enrolling in the Endorsement

Notify the T&L Office of Academic Services that you want to participate in the Endorsement by completing the Enrollment Form and submit it by mail or email as an attachment:

Mailing Address:
227 Arps Hall
1945 North High Street
Columbus, OH 43210

Email: edtl-oas@osu.edu

Step 3- Course Requirements

Reading Endorsement Prerequisite Course Sheet

Take the required courses as specified on the Reading Endorsement Program Sheet. Only graduate-level courses taken for graduate credit may count or substitute for the required courses on the Program Sheet. The faculty coordinator must approve any substitutions for the required coursework. A student wishing to substitute a course from another institution must submit a petition, a course syllabus or official course description, and a copy of a transcript or advising report showing the final grade.  Petitions are available in the Office of Academic Services, 227 Arps Hall and should be returned to that office.


Step 4- Ohio Assessments for Educators (OAE)

Take the OAE Content Knowledge Assessment tests, “Reading (Subtests I & II)”.


Step 5- Completion

Notify the T&L Office of Academic Services that you have completed the requirements by submitting the completed Reading Endorsement Program Sheet and Clearance Request form.


Step 6- Application for Licensure

Apply for licensure. Applications are available on the Ohio Department of Education Web site at http://www.ode.state.oh.us/. Complete this form and submit it with a check or money order for $20 (made payable to Treasurer – State of Ohio) to:

Licensure Officer
College of Education and Human Ecology

185 Arps Hall
1945 N. High Street
Columbus, OH 43210

As soon as final grades for all required courses have been posted and your scores have been reported to the university by OAE, your application for licensure will be approved and forwarded to ODE with your check or money order.

Advice to Student:

  • If your contact information (phone number, address, email) changes, please notify the T&L Office of Academic Services to ensure that you receive updates about the program.
  •  If you have questions about the endorsement process, you may call (614) 292-2332 to schedule a meeting or a phone appointment with an academic advisor.