“Building a Loving, Nonviolent Community”
Peace and Freedom Organization’s
6th Annual Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
Scholarships awarded to 1st, 2nd, and 3rd place
(COLLEGIATE SCHOLARSHIP COMPETITION
OPEN TO OHIO STATE MARION STUDENTS)
Collegiate Scholarship Competition >>> downloadable application form
The goal of the Martin Luther King, Jr. Central Ohio is to actively help strengthen the writing and public speaking skills of area students. Also, to encourage and educate central Ohioans through the dreams for peace, freedom, and equality of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.
- Scholarship awards to The Ohio State University at Marion
- Scholarship amounts: 1st place - $1,500, 2nd place - $1000, 3rd place - $750
- Speaking opportunity and on stage recognition at the annual M.L.K. Scholarship Breakfast
- Share the meaning and relevance of the statewide Martin Luther King, Jr. Oratorical Contest theme: “Building a Loving, Nonviolent Community”.
- The legacy of Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr. and major events in his life
- Relate one’s own commitment to Dr. King’s philosophy of nonviolence, peaceful acceptance, and respect.
- “What Dr. Martin Luther King, Jr.’s life means to me” (Expound on what this means to you personally.)
- The scholarship portion of the competition is open to all Ohio State Marion students
- All entries are to be original works, written/created by students.
- Entries must follow one of the themed topics listed above.
- Speeches must be timed to 5-6 minutes in length.
Judging of Entries
Oratorical/Speech Contest will be evaluated on the following criteria:
- Poise, self confidence and audience appeal
- Voice quality, articulation, use of gestures and posture
- Creativity, relevance to topic(s), accuracy of content
Submitting your work
All applications/entries must be received by January 10, 2014, at 5 p.m.
Email your submission to Kathleen Clemons; email@example.com
or drop off your application/entry at Maynard Hall, Room 100 - reception desk, Attn: Kathleen Clemons.
Judging/finals to be held Saturday, January 11, 2014 at 1 p.m.
The Ohio State University at Marion
1465 Mt. Vernon Avenue, Marion, Ohio 43302
in Maynard Hall's Guthery Community Room
Participants should arrive at 12:30 p.m. to check-in at the registration table.
If you have any questions, please contact Kathleen Clemons at 740-725-6251