How to Apply
Application process for Autumn 2017 College of Social Work Cohort is open
Congratulations! You have decided to apply to be a major in the College of Social Work, one of the most prestigious social work schools in the nation and the longest, continuously accredited social work program in the United States. Our application process is designed to allow you to outline your motivation to enter the social work profession and increase the likelihood of a good match between you and the major.
In order to apply to the Social Work major, you must meet the following criteria: Applicants to the autumn 2017 cohort should include a curriculum plan showing how any remaining coursework will be completed in spring and/or summer 2017 with their application.
Complete this list of pre-requisite coursework and grade point average requirements prior to autumn 2017:
- Biology 1102
- English 1110
- Math Placement Level R or higher or Math 1075 (to complete the degree students will be required to complete one level of Mathematics/Logical Analysis above Math 1075 in order to graduate but not to apply)
- Psychology 1100
- Social Work 1100 or equivalent, 1120, 1130, and 1140
- Sociology 1101
- Earn a minimum of a 2.0 cumulative point-hour ratio.
- Earn a minimum 2.0 pre-major point-hour ratio after completion of the required pre-major courses
- Applicant is strongly encouraged to complete volunteer experience in social work related field prior applying. Any work/volunteer experiences related to social work should be included in your application personal statement
If you are a current Ohio State student interested in changing your area of study to Social Work you should contact Eric Hinkle in the Marion campus Academic Advising Office at 740-725-6334 or firstname.lastname@example.org
Current undergraduate pre- Social Work students should meet with your academic advisor to review the application process and be sure your course work is planned correctly for spring and/or summer 2017 semesters to meet the requirements for the major.
Transfer students planning to attend the The Ohio State University Marion campus to complete the Bachelor of Science in Social Work (BSSW) must have their transfer credits evaluated to be sure they will include equivalent courses to the pre-major requirements listed above if you plan to apply to the major for autumn semester 2017. Contact our Admissions department at 740-725-6242. Following the application process you will meet with your Social Work academic advisor, Eric Hinkle for assistance with transfer credit evaluation.
Transfer students may be eligible to apply directly to the social work major if they have completed the pre-major coursework. Contact our social work advisor for additional information and to plan your application to the major. See advisor contact information below.Admission to the Social Work Major
The College of Social Work admits students to the major for fall semesters only, because major courses are offered one time per year and junior major courses commence in fall semesters. In general, the application materials to the major are available beginning the 10th week of fall semester. Applications are reviewed and admission decisions are made on a rolling basis, up until the start of the following fall semester or until the major has reached maximum capacity. The admissions process is based upon the following indicators:
- cumulative grade point average
- completion of the pre-major coursework
- composition and content of a personal statement
- evidence of emotional and professional readiness to work with clients
- work and/or volunteer experiences related to social work
- enrollment capacity
Applicants will be evaluated based on the following standards:
- Academic Record
- Composition and content of the submitted personal statement
- Evidence of emotional and professional readiness to work with clients
- Applicant work/volunteer experiences related to Social Work
Deadline to Apply:
- February 1, 2017: Early Action Deadline
- Apply by February 1, 2017 to receive an admissions decision prior to your Autumn 2017 enrollment period opening.
- June 1, 2017: Regular Decision Deadline
- Applications received beyond the June 1 deadline will be considered if space permits.
- Please note you may only apply to one campus; students are accepted or denied admittance to the social work major, not to specific campuses.
- Students with questions regarding the social work major application process should contact the Marion campus advisor, Eric Hinkle by calling 740-725-6334 or contact email@example.com
- Financial Aid
- Career Services
- National Association of Social Workers
- Transferology - web site for how credits transfer from one higher learning institution to another