In 1957, state legislation was proposed to provide access to higher education within a thirty-mile radius of every Ohio citizen, beginning the regional campus systems for state-assisted universities.
The Ohio State University began offering night classes in Marion, Ohio in October 1957 at what was then Marion Harding High School. In 1968 a parcel of land located off of Ohio State Route 95 in Marion was chosen to locate what is now The Ohio State University at Marion, one of six Ohio State campuses statewide.
Today, The Ohio State University at Marion is a co-located c ampus with Marion Technical College. The Marion campus encompases 8 buildings on 186 acres, serving the higher education needs of an estimated 3250-4000 students per semester between the two schools.